Obtaining Records

The only records you personally can obtain are your driving history or an accident report. To obtain your driving record, you can go into any full service DMV branch office. You have to provide them with two forms of identification. Also give them your personal information and a Copy Records Request (form J-23). This goes along with the required fee. They will give you a certified copy of your driving record. You can get an accident report from the local police department of the town where the accident occurred. You can get this approximately 3-5 days after the accident. No other records are available at public request. Your attorney is the only one who can obtain your criminal records, police reports, or any other private records.

Insurance Company

It is important for you to understand that your insurance company for your motor vehicle is assessing you on many different levels. They do this to determine the premium you will pay. A Conning and Co. investigation completed in July of 2001 into insurance reports found certain data. They found that 92% of insurers use scoring which can include credit data when they determine your auto insurance policy premium rates. These credit reports put you into a class system to determine your pricing tier. Insurers feel that there is a direct correlation between the scores they determine for customers and the probability that they will file a claim.

Getting Your Driver’s License History

If you would like to obtain a copy of your driver’s license history you need to contact the state of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles and request a J-23 form. You can do this over the phone and have it mailed to you. Or, you can fill out the request form online at the DMV website. Another option is requesting it in person from any full service DMV branch. You must have two forms of identification (one must be photo) with you. You also need a check for $20, name and address, date of birth and drivers license number. After the forms get submitted, it takes about two weeks to receive the certified copy of your driver’s license. After receiving your driver’s license record, you may be able to see some of the reasons for the insurance score and ranking based on your driving history.

Insurance Score

If arrested for a DUI offense, it will directly impact your insurance score. If arrested and convicted of a serious violation of the law in relation to your driver’s license, you must obtain an SR-22 to have your driver’s license reinstated. This consists of a financial responsibility certificate that you can get from either your insurance company or insurance agent. It is a separate document from your regular automobile insurance policy. Your insurance company must file the certificate before you can begin driving. This helps to keep insurance companies informed about serious offenders. This happens so that they may treat them as high-risk drivers and charge them accordingly. To file an SR-22 in the state of Connecticut, the original copy must get transmitted by your insurance company to the Driver Services Division at the following address:

State of Connecticut
Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver Services Division
60 State Street
Wethersfield, Connecticut 06161-2525

Many insurance companies check your motor vehicle record only once every three years. Or, they might check when you’re applying for a new policy. Sometimes accidents, tickets and drunk driving convictions can escape your insurer’s attention. Or, they don’t end up on your motor vehicle record. However, if your insurer does find out about a driving under the influence (DUI) conviction, or an administrative suspension or a diversionary program, you’re likely to feel the pinch of higher rates and possibly policy cancellation or non-renewal.

Insurance and DUI

There are two ways insurance companies generally deal with customers convicted of DUI. First, your insurer will likely raise your insurance premiums and label you a high-risk driver if they find out about a DUI conviction. In this case, you’ll likely have to provide proof of insurance for three – sometimes five – years with your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles. Your insurance company will have to provide the DMV with an SR-22 form, which removes your license suspension by providing the state with proof of insurance. An SR-22 also means your insurance company has to notify the DMV if it cancels your insurance for any reason.

In addition, your company may cancel your insurance midterm or terminate the policy at the end of the term because you are currently in a preferred class. Your company will send you a notice stating why you’ve been cancelled, and then you’ll have to find another insurer while having a cancellation on your claim history.

Some insurance companies don’t offer SR-22 policies, so you may also be non-renewed or canceled because your company can no longer provide what you need. Insurers can miss DUI convictions and it is possible that your insurance company will never find out about your conviction, especially if you do not have to get an SR-22. Rates do not always go up. You may be surprised to know that when your insurer does find out about a DUI conviction it doesn’t automatically impose higher premiums. The insurer will look at your history with the company and your claims record, and your fate is in their hands.