Obtaining Records and Insurance Information in a Connecticut DUI

Getting Your Records

The only records you can personally obtain are your driving history and an accident report. To obtain your driving record, you can go into any full service DMV branch office. Provide them with two forms of identification. You should also give them your name, address, driver’s license number, date of birth and a Copy Records Request (form J-23). You should also bring the required fee. They will give you a certified copy of your driving record. Full service DMV branch offices in Connecticut are:

  • Bridgeport DMV: 95 Sylvan Avenue Bridgeport, CT 06606.
  • Danbury DMV: 2 Lee Mac Avenue Danbury, CT 06810.
  • Hamden DMV: 1985 State Street Hamden, CT 06517.
  • Norwalk DMV: 540 Main Avenue Norwalk, CT 06851.
  • Waterbury DMV: 1210 Thomaston Avenue Waterbury, CT 06704.
  • Wethersfield DMV: 60 State Street Wethersfield, CT 06161.
  • Willimantic DMV: 11557 West Main Street Willimantic, CT 06226.

Or, you can mail in a request for a copy of your driving record. You will have to send the J-23 form, a photocopy of your identification, and the $20 fee. Send all of this to the Copy Records Unit of the Wethersfield DMV Branch.

You can get an accident report from the local police department of the town where the accident occurred. You can get this report roughly 3-5 days after the accident. No other records are available at public request. Your attorney is the only one who can obtain your criminal records, police reports, or any other private records that would be important to your case.

Insurance Issues

At all times, your insurance company for your motor vehicle is assessing you. They assess you on different levels to determine the premium you will pay. A Conning and Co. investigation completed in July of 2001 found that 92% of insurers use scoring that can include credit data when they determine your auto insurance policy premium rates. These credit reports put you into a class system. This will determine your pricing tier. Insurers feel that there is a direct correlation between the scores they determine for customers and the probability that they will file a claim.

Insurance Score

If arrested for a DUI offense, it will directly impact your insurance score. If arrested and convicted of a serious violation of the law in relation to your driver’s license, you must obtain an SR-22 to have your driver’s license reinstated. It is a Financial Responsibility Certificate that can be obtained from either your insurance company or insurance agent. It is a separate document from your regular automobile insurance policy. Your insurance company must file the certificate before the DMV restores your driving privileges. This helps to keep insurance companies informed about serious offenders. This happens so that they may treat them as high-risk drivers and charge them accordingly. To file an SR-22 in the state of Connecticut, the original copy must get transmitted by your insurance company to the Driver Services Division. It must go to the following address:

State of Connecticut
Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver Services Division
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161-2525

Many insurance companies check your motor vehicle record only once every three years or when you’re applying for a new policy. Sometimes accidents, tickets and drunk driving convictions can escape your insurer’s attention. Or, they don’t end up on your motor vehicle record. But, if your insurer does find out about a DUI conviction, you’re likely to feel the pinch of higher rates and possibly policy cancellation or non-renewal.

Dealing With DUI

There are two ways insurance companies generally deal with customers convicted of DUI. First, your insurer will likely raise your insurance premiums. They will label you a high risk driver if they find out about a DUI conviction. In this case, you’ll likely have to provide proof of insurance for three years with your state’s DMV. Your insurance company will have to provide the DMV with an SR-22 form. This removes your license suspension by providing the state with proof of insurance. An SR-22 also means your insurance company is required to notify the DMV if it cancels your insurance for any reason.

Also, your company may cancel your insurance midterm or terminate the policy at the end of the term. This can happen because you go to a preferred class. Your company will send you a notice stating why you have gotten cancelled. Then you’ll have to find another insurer while having a cancellation on your claim history.

Some insurance companies don’t offer SR-22 policies. So, you may also be non-renewed or canceled because your company can no longer provide what you need. Insurers can miss DUI convictions. It is possible that your insurance company will never find out about your conviction, especially if you do not have to get an SR-22. Rates do not always go up. You may feel surprised to know that when your insurer does find out about a DUI conviction it doesn’t automatically impose higher premiums. The insurer will look at your history with the company and your claims record.

Commercial Driver License Issues

There are a variety of reasons why a commercial driver’s license (CDL) or license with public passenger endorsement could be suspended or disqualified. One reason would be for operating a motor vehicle under the influence. This is the case whether it is the commercial vehicle or your personal vehicle. Once a driver gets disqualified they cannot operate a commercial motor vehicle. Tickets or convictions from out of state also hold reciprocity in the state of Connecticut. They get reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles. They then transfer to your Connecticut driver’s license.

If one of these offenses occurs with driving a vehicle that is transporting hazardous materials, the minimum disqualification will be for three years. If convicted twice for either DUI or refusal or failure of a BAC test, the result would be a lifetime disqualification of your CDL. A first offense of using a commercial vehicle while under the influence of a controlled substance will also result in a lifetime disqualification.

  • Disqualification will result from a conviction of any one (1) of the following:
  • Operation under the influence of alcohol.
  • Refusal to take a blood, breath or urine test.
  • Failure of a blood, breath or urine test (0.04 or greater).
  • Evading the police.
  • Use of a commercial vehicle in conjunction with a felony conviction.

Additional Violations

If an additional violation occurs following the completion of a driver retraining class, you might have to repeat the class. These classes are under the discretion of the retraining associations and are not held at the DMV. If the class is not completed by the effective date of suspension, a restoration fee in the amount of $125 must be paid. It has to be paid by check or money order payable to DMV and mailed to:

State of Connecticut
Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver Services Division
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161-2525

(Include the license number and name with payment).


My name is Teresa, and I am a DUI lawyer, but that is only part of who I am. I have been practicing law in Connecticut since 2006.


My office has operators standing by 24 hours a day 7 days a week. When you need to speak to an attorney, we will be there to answer the call.


Need to get some answers but not able to make a call? Just send us a text and one of my team members will reply ASAP.


Need to reach out via Facebook? Use Facebook Messenger to send us your question.


With offices conveniently located in Stamford, Shelton, New Haven, Waterbury, and New London, we cover the entire state.


sent to you for free